Table of Contents
- Choosing a topic for your next blog post
- Priority #1 – Your current promotions
- Priority #2 – Special dates
- Priority #3 – Promotions in the near future
- Priority #4 – Help your audience
- Priority #5 – What inspires you right now
- Still stuck on choosing a topic for your next health blog post?
- Have you now chosen a topic for your next health blog post?
- Over to you
- Don’t want to DIY this strategic plan?
- Health & Wellness Pros:
- I’ll help you get more readers to sign up for your email list and attract more ideal clients using your blog posts.
- Announcing: Blog Post Optimization Plan
- Find out more about the Blog Post Optimization Plan.
- Need an article for YOUR health blog fast?
- Consistently publish, even on those weeks when you just don't have the time. Check out May's featured "done for you" pre-written health article for YOUR site
- Want a different topic?
- Did you enjoy this post?
Choosing a topic for your next blog post
As bloggers, we can find ourselves somewhere between each extreme when it comes to choosing a topic for our next blog post.
1) We have NO IDEA what topics to blog about. Blank slate. Writer’s block.
2) We have NO IDEA which of our gazillion ideas we should choose first.
If you’re in the first camp and need topic ideas for your health and wellness blog, then let me give you dozens here: 60 health and wellness blog ideas.
But once you have a few (or a gazillion) ideas, how do you choose which one to create first?
Let me share with you my strategy for choosing a topic for your next blog post.
Priority #1 – Your current promotions
The first thing to think about is what are you currently promoting?
- Are you trying to grow your email subscriber list with a certain opt-in?
- Do you have a product, program, or service that you’re currently booking?
- Are you running a contest or survey right now?
If so, that’s what your next blog post topic should be about.
Priority #1 ideas:
- Share a case study or client success story related to your current promotion.
- Talk about the benefits of your current offer – how does it help your clients and customers?
- What do potential clients need to know about how to best work with you? Talk about that.
- What kinds of things need to be in place before people see success with your current promotion? Do they need to have a few fridge/pantry/kitchen essentials? Do they need a piece of exercise equipment? Is there a mindset or level of commitment they need first? Here’s an example where I talk about the things that need to be in place before creating a content strategy. You can create a post like that.
Priority #2 – Special dates
Is there a special date coming up that speaks to you, your niche, and/or your ideal clients? If so, then choose a blog post topic to correspond with that date.
Priority #2 ideas:
- Is your birthday or biz anniversary coming up soon? Talk about that (and even hint to a special gift, if you’re doing something like that).
- What should your audience do to prepare for the upcoming holiday?
- What health- or food-awareness date is going to be buzzing in your niche soon? For example, Heart or IBS Awareness Month, Hot/Iced Tea Month, International Self-Care Day, or National Almond Day? Not sure? Want a resource with over 350 heath- and food-awareness dates listed along with the organization/location, link, and even some hashtags? You can buy my Health- and Food-Awareness Dates Calendar for inspiration. I’m committed to continually updating this to ensure it’s THE most comprehensive resource in the industry. 🙂
Priority #3 – Promotions in the near future
If you’re launching something or going “all in” to promote it in the next few weeks, it’s probably time to start creating content around that.
Priority #3 ideas:
- Make an announcement about the upcoming promotion. Tell your audience why they should stay tuned to see what you’re launching soon.
- And, similarly to priority #1…
- Share a case study or client success story related to your upcoming promotion.
- Talk about the benefits of your upcoming offer – how does it help your clients and customers?
- What do potential clients need to know about how to best work with you? Talk about that.
- What kinds of things need to be in place before people see success with your upcoming promotion?
Priority #4 – Help your audience
Be helpful. Be educational. Give value.
While this is priority #4 for your very next post, it should actually be more than half of what you blog about throughout the year. Some would give it the 80/20 rule where you’re giving value 80% of the time, and promoting just 20% of the time. Your “big picture” strategy should ensure that this is the most common type of thing you post about.Helping your audience and providing value should be the majority of content on your blog, vlog, or podcast. #help #educate #givevalue #blogstrategy Click To Tweet
Priority #4 ideas:
- Do your audience and clients ask you a few key questions? Answer those.
- Do they want tips or a tutorial on how to do something? Create that.
- What advice would serve them most – Your routine? Grocery list? Recipes? Share those.
- What does your audience need to know about – How to upgrade their habits? Why they should start (or stop) with a certain food/drink? The little known (but proven) benefits of a certain diet, supplement, or exercise?
Priority #5 – What inspires you right now
Personally, I would (almost) always prioritize strategy over inspiration, but I definitely make exceptions.
EXAMPLE: A few weeks ago I got freaking pissed and HAD to interrupt my “regularly scheduled programming” to respond to being inundated with emails. These emails were from random strangers on the internet asking me for a backlink or feedback on their post. And, I started seeing fellow wellness professionals also asking whether these emails were legit because they weren’t sure what to do. I was inspired to create a video response to this poor quality outreach.
Priority #5 ideas:
- Is there some buzz going around now that you have an opinion about? Write it up (or record it).
- Are you doing some cool “behind the scenes” stuff? Share it.
- Have you won an award or will you be featured on another blog, vlog or podcast? Talk about that.
- Did you come across an awesome article or recipe (or two) this week? Share those.
- Want to share something more personal – about your education, a recent insight, or even a guilty pleasure? Go for it.
Still stuck on choosing a topic for your next health blog post?
I’ve created a few things that can help you.
First of all, you can always repurpose content you already have.
Second, here is the very comprehensive list of health and wellness blog topic ideas I mentioned earlier.
Have you now chosen a topic for your next health blog post?
If so, yay you!
If not, then maybe it’s time to create a plan so you don’t need to scramble on choosing topics for your next few months of blog posts!
What do you need?
First, create a content strategy mission statement.
Second, a health blog editorial calendar. Download my blog editorial calendar here (no email address required).
Your blog is the main way to build your “know, like, and trust” factor with your audience. By strategically prioritizing topics, you can easily choose what to post about so it will build your business.
Signing off and toasting: To strategically prioritizing topics for you next blog posts.
Over to you
What do you think? Do you have exactly zero blog topic ideas or a gazillion? How do you choose which to post next? Do you have any strategic ideas to add?
I’d love to know (in the comments below)!
Don’t want to DIY this strategic plan?
Let me help you plan out the next 3- or 6-months of content for your blog. And as a BONUS, I’ll give you a bunch of my researched, pre-written “done for you” blog posts. Let’s create your content strategy and editorial calendar in advance, so you know what you’re going to post about Every. Single. Time!
Ultimate Health Blogging Checklist
Use your health blog to grow your audience, subscribers, and sales.
Health & Wellness Pros:
You’ll learn exactly the things you need to turn your blog into a marketing tool that consistently grows your business.
Find out more about the Blog Post Optimization Plan.
Need an article for YOUR health blog fast?
Consistently publish, even on those weeks when you just don't have the time. Check out May's featured "done for you" pre-written health article for YOUR site
2636 words - 28 scientific references (last updated Mar 2018)
This article is credibility-building because it's expertly researched, written and edited. Just download, customize, and publish as your own.
NOTE: I cap the sale of each one to a maximum of 50, so every single practitioner with a blog will NOT have these articles!
Sale ends June 3rd!
Want a different topic?
60+ health & wellness topics you can create in 60 minutes
Download this checklist for the next time you need a post fast.
I'm Leesa Klich, MSc., R.H.N.,
Health writer – Blogging expert – Research nerd.
I help health & wellness professionals attract more email subscribers & clients using their blogs. I move them from feeling stumped & overwhelmed to confidently & consistently showing off their expertise. I make credible research-based blogging both strategic & easy, which saves them a ton of time so they can focus on what lights them up in their business & life. To work with me, click here.