Table of Contents
- Health blog images – How to make them work for you
- Health Blog Image Tips
- Where to get images
- How to customize and brand your images
- Once your blog post’s images are published – Promote
- Signing off and toasting: To more awesome (and “imaged”) credible health content for the internet!
- Over to you
- Need an article for YOUR health blog fast?
- Consistently publish, even on those weeks when you just don't have the time. Check out June's featured "done for you" pre-written health article for YOUR site
- Want a different topic?
- Health & Wellness Pros:
- I’ll help you get more readers to sign up for your email list and attract more ideal clients using your blog posts.
- Announcing: Blog Post Optimization Plan
- Find out more about the Blog Post Optimization Plan.
- Did you enjoy this post?
Health blog images – How to make them work for you
Want to know where to get health blog images, and how to make them work for your blog? By “work” I mean, how to use them to promote your blog in search engines and social media?
You know that images are SO important! Do you remember back in the days of dial up internet, when everything took foreeeeeever to load? Images on the internet slowed that process down.
Images are essential!
And you don’t have to stop at just one image for each blog post – do more.
- Add a few more related images throughout your post;
- Put your favourite quotations from your blog post in an image;
- Make every image clickable and shareable.
So, this post is going to show you:
- How to make images in your WP blog clickable;
- How to help them be found in a Google search;
- How to make them shareable on social media;
- Where to get images online;
- How to customize them on Canva; and,
- Don’t forget to promote them on social media.
Before I share some of my favourite places to get images, here are some pretty important tips for you.How to make your health blog images work for you. #health #healthblog #blogimages Click To Tweet
Health Blog Image Tips
PRO TIP: Make sure you have permission to use the image. Don’t just pull one off the internet and use it. Depending on the image and owner of the image, it can cause you lots of trouble, including steep fines. Copyright infringement can be a big deal, so just don’t go there.
- Make sure you assign a “featured” image for each blog post. This means that your image and your blog post will both come up when someone shares on social media. Have you ever clicked a “share” button and got no image to share? Yes – Avoid that! You always want both to come up. By “featured” in WordPress, I mean when you’re in your dashboard of your post, look at the right sidebar and make sure you assign a “media” to be the “featured image.”
How to make images in your WP blog findable
- Make sure to give your images “alt-tags” when you upload them. This is the text that shows up if images don’t load properly and for people who are visually impaired. They will also help your post get found on search engines like Google. Ideally, your blog post title, url, and image tags will all contain a version of that post’s main keywords.
How to make images in your WP blog clickable
- Make your images clickable links. Have you ever clicked an image and just got a larger image? Don’t do that! Make sure anytime someone finds that image off of your blog (it might show up on Google images!), they can click it and go straight back to your blog post. Do this by clicking the image and adding the url to it like this:
- Make images shareable by others who visit your blog. I personally use the free plugin Frizzly that makes those three shareable links when you hover over an image.
Health blog image tips - #featured #alttags #clickable #shareable #healthblog #blog #images Click To Tweet
Where to get images
Take your own!
You don’t have to be a photographer; and practice makes perfect. Of course, there are tonnes of products and services that can help you. Digital cameras, lenses, and fancy lighting. Not to mention courses in every type of photography, including food photography!
Especially if you’re looking for photos of yourself. For social media, of course, selfies can rock! Maybe even for extra images peppered throughout your blog, or your profile pictures. But not for your website home and about pages, and social media headers. For those, I highly recommend you “go pro.” If you’re in Toronto, you might consider my sister’s online portrait photography appeals to you.
There are tonnes of sites that offer free or inexpensive images (always check the “attribution” before using). Think about your branding, and how you want to be perceived and remembered. Clipart? Nope! Get a nice theme going and run with it. You may notice how much I love images of books. And that suits my branding of being a science-based researcher/writer. But you can search these sites for everything from almonds to zinc.
Some of my favourites include:
How to customize and brand your images
Here’s my super-simple process:
- First I add my signature background colour #040045.
- Then I upload my image and put it on top.
- On top of that I add a square of my signature colour & increase the transparency.
- Then I put the title of my blog post smack in the middle. This is so it can be read on social media. Did you ever notice that some images are cropped in your social feeds? Me too! So add your title right in the middle.
- Name it. Save it. Download it to your computer.
- Upload it to your website’s “Media” storage & add to your blog post.
60+ health & wellness topics you can create in 60 minutes
Download this checklist for the next time you need to create a post fast
Once your blog post’s images are published – Promote
- Promote your blog like crazy – seriously! If you don’t believe me, read what Neil Patel says about it here. Share in your social media feeds, and do it often!
- Share in your newsletter. I even make a clickable button right in my newsletter that goes straight to my post;
- Whichever of your shares is the most popular – consider turning it into a paid ad! And make sure you have an opportunity to collect email addresses from your readers when they click through to your post. I have a lot of tips here on how to make a great post into a list building machine. For example, have opt-in boxes on your post (perhaps with content upgrades) and a popup.
Signing off and toasting: To more awesome (and “imaged”) credible health content for the internet!
Over to you
Do you have a favourite place to get your health blog images? If so, did I miss a great resource?
What program do you use to customize your images?
Do you have branding suggestions for me? I’d be pretty grateful, as that’s (clearly) not one of my superpowers! 🙂
Let me know in the comments and I’ll personally reply!
Ultimate Health Blogging Checklist
Use your health blog to grow your audience, subscribers, and sales.
Need an article for YOUR health blog fast?
Consistently publish, even on those weeks when you just don't have the time. Check out June's featured "done for you" pre-written health article for YOUR site
The Microbiome-Gut-Brain Axis: What you need to know for brain and gut health
2599 words - 29 scientific references (last updated Mar 2018)
Click for preview & references
This article is credibility-building because it's expertly researched, written and edited. Just download, customize, and publish as your own.
NOTE: I cap the sale of each one to a maximum of 50, so every single practitioner with a blog will NOT have these articles!
Sale ends July 1st!
Want a different topic?
60+ Health & Wellness Blog Ideas
Download this when you need a blog post fast!
Health & Wellness Pros:
You’ll learn exactly the things you need to turn your blog into a marketing tool that consistently grows your business.
Find out more about the Blog Post Optimization Plan.
I'm Leesa Klich, MSc., R.H.N.,
Health writer – Blogging expert – Research nerd.
I help health & wellness professionals attract more email subscribers & clients using their blogs. I move them from feeling stumped & overwhelmed to confidently & consistently showing off their expertise. I make credible research-based blogging both strategic & easy, which saves them a ton of time so they can focus on what lights them up in their business & life. To work with me, click here.